Friday, March 30, 2012

the itch of an imminent insight

I am reading a super cool book, IMAGINE: How Creativity Works by Jonah Lehrer. It is one of those books that I have highlighted more sections than not. 


One of my favorite bits is what the author calls "feelings of knowing", the times when our brain is sure that we know the answer if only we can keep thinking. Think of it as a tip-of-the-tongue moment. You run into an acquaintance and their name is... just give me a minute. Or the actor that is starring in that new movie... wait, wait... I've almost got it... We have all had that feeling where we are convinced that we know the answer.


So we keep thinking, because the next thought might be the answer.


And then, later, amid something else completely, we shout out "Kevin Bacon" in a moment of insight.


IMAGINE: How Creativity Works from Flash Rosenberg on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment