Thursday, December 4, 2008

Samaritan Experiment



"This money was left here intentionally and specifically for your use. I know it's not much - perhaps just enough to treat yourself to a cookie, coffee, a lottery ticket, or donation to the homeless...
In any case, I hope it changes your day for the better.
Enjoy!"

I got this idea from the book An Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Krouse Rosenthal. If you haven't read it, it is a hilarious must read.

I plan to leave envelopes in newspaper boxes, restrooms, restaurants, parks, health club locker rooms, etc. I think it will be fun to come up with new and interesting places to leave this note and a few bucks. And, even more exciting, to think of how people will respond and what they will do with a little spare change. In all, I think I have $50 to spend...perhaps dinner and a movie I will have to forego...but, oh the fun we'll have.

9 comments:

  1. I found one of your envelopes today...It was an unexpected surprise and completely brightened my day. This is a great experiment and I hope all of the recipients will follow your example. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today I found one of these envelopes, me and the person who I work with decided to add more money and place it somewhere else. Who knows where it will go from there.
    Awesome idea, and cool blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am completely inspired and love this idea....the Samaritan Experiment!! I love the element of surprise and hoping that whoever finds this gift may feel compelled to do the same. I look forward to involving my family and will keep you posted on our places of choice...as you said "oh the fun we'll have". Thank you!
    LB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. I found one of your envelopes this morning. What a surprise! There is a homeless guy that hangs around my neighborhood park that I am going to pass this on to; he needs it more then I do. You are truly a special person. Thanks for the inspiration! -JM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea, Patty! We will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your envelope in Sun Valley, Idaho on New Years Eve. My family and I love the idea and plan to take it home to Lake Tapps, WA and try it there. Wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found an envelope in a grocery cart at Walmart. It really did make my day a little brighter and reinforced my belief in humanity. Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was having a mopey morning and went out for coffee. I walked by a bench and nearly passed by thinking the envelope had been left on accident, but then I noticed that it was FOR ME!

    This moment of compassion and perspective is exactly what I needed today. I have donated my findings to the United Way campaign at work. This was the only way I could afford to participate.

    Thank you for providing me the opportunity to share compassionately today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. An envelope was found in a Boise park and turned in to the Boise Parks & Rec department. We have donated the amount to the Heritage Trust Scholarship fund. http://www.idahoheritage.org/

    ReplyDelete