Friday, January 17, 2014

if we lose our hope, that’s our real disaster

Today I finished reading Love Your Enemies by Sharon Salzberg and Tenzin Robert Thurman. It's a great book that reaffirmed for me that we hold within ourselves the power to create our own happiness. Loving our enemies is about more than finding a way to forgive bullies; it's about wishing love and happiness for everyone… bullies and ourselves.




As I finished the book today, I highlighted and re-read my favorite parts. "Yep", I thought to myself… "our enemies are a gift; they are our greatest teachers." 

I thought I had it all figured out. Love, kindness, compassion… "I can do this" I thought.

I set the book down, feeling content. 

Then I went on twitter… and saw #HelpCoveDolphins. 




Today over 250 Bottlenose Dolphins were captured in the Taiji cove in Japan. Many are being slaughtered. Others are drowned in the nets. The 'beautiful' ones are being captured and sold to live in captivity.

I was suddenly sick with grief. My heart sank and then began to break beyond sadness... within this captured pod is a baby albino dolphin and his mother.




I watched the horror unfold, live-stream from the Sea Shepherd.  This baby was separated from his mother and hoisted onto the ship. This rare albino dolphin will now spend a lifetime in captivity. The fate of his mother? I don't know.


Love your enemies… how?

There is good in everyone… really?


Then I thought of a quote from HH the Dalai Lama:

“There is a saying in Tibetan, ‘Tragedy should be utilized as a source of strength.’ No matter what sort of difficulties, how painful experience is, if we lose our hope, that’s our real disaster.” 


Love your enemies. 
There is good in everyone. 
Never give up hope. 

1 comment:

  1. The fate of the mother of 'Angel', the one year old albino calf, is now known. She committed suicide.

    http://mail.tinymill.com/t/ViewEmail/r/10EF13E5D9E14DD02540EF23F30FEDED

    ReplyDelete