Sunday, November 29, 2015

you love this world very much


Yesterday was Small Business Saturday. At our local bookstore I bought Mary Oliver's new book of poetry, Felicity. It will make a wonderful holiday gift for all the Mary Oliver fans and poets on your shopping list.

I couldn't resist reading it before I gift it.

Here's my favorite:


A Voice from I Don't Know Where
by Mary Oliver

It seems you love this world very much.
     "Yes," I said. "This beautiful world."

And you don't mind the mind, that keeps you
     busy all the time with its dark and bright wonderings?
     "No, I'm quite use to it. Busy, busy,
     all the time."

And you don't mind living with those questions,
     I mean the hard ones, that no one can answer?
     "Actually, they're the most interesting."

And you have a person in your life whose hand
     you like to hold?
     "Yes, I do."

It must surely, then, be very happy down there
     in your heart.
     "Yes," I said. "It is."



2 comments:

  1. Love this. Just stopping by to say hello and Merry Christmas, Samaritan :) -Peyt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Happy Holidays! Have a wonderful New Year :)

    ReplyDelete