Sunday, February 23, 2014

What if one happens to be possessed of a heart that can't be trusted—?

I read The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt and loved it. Since it is my turn to choose the book for my book club, I am choosing The Goldfinch, and I hope everyone loves it as much as I did. Theo Decker may be to The Goldfinch what Holden Caulfield was to Catcher in the Rye. And how awesome is Boris?

The Goldfinch, a painting by the Dutch master Carel Fabritius and the protagonist of the now best selling book, was on display at The Frick museum in New York this winter drawing record crowds.





This is one of those books that will reaffirm your love of literature… if you need reaffirming. 

It's powerful and brilliant and astonishingly perfect.

There are so many amazing parts to this story and it covers so much ground… but this is my absolute favorite:


“I look at the blanked-out faces of the other passengers--hoisting their briefcases, their backpacks, shuffling to disembark--and I think of what Hobie said: beauty alters the grain of reality. And I keep thinking too of the more conventional wisdom: namely, that the pursuit of pure beauty is a trap, a fast track to bitterness and sorrow, that beauty has to be wedded to something more meaningful.

Only what is that thing? Why am I made the way I am? Why do I care about all the wrong things, and nothing at all for the right ones? Or, to tip it another way: how can I see so clearly that everything I love or care about is illusion, and yet--for me, anyway--all that's worth living for lies in that charm?

A great sorrow, and one that I am only beginning to understand: we don't get to choose our own hearts. We can't make ourselves want what's good for us or what's good for other people. We don't get to choose the people we are.

Because--isn't it drilled into us constantly, from childhood on, an unquestioned platitude in the culture--? From William Blake to Lady Gaga, from Rousseau to Rumi to Tosca to Mister Rogers, it's a curiously uniform message, accepted from high to low: when in doubt, what to do? How do we know what's right for us? Every shrink, every career counselor, every Disney princess knows the answer: "Be yourself." "Follow your heart."

Only here's what I really, really want someone to explain to me. What if one happens to be possessed of a heart that can't be trusted--? What if the heart, for its own unfathomable reasons, leads one willfully and in a cloud of unspeakable radiance away from health, domesticity, civic responsibility and strong social connections and all the blandly-held common virtues and instead straight toward a beautiful flare of ruin, self-immolation, disaster?...If your deepest self is singing and coaxing you straight toward the bonfire, is it better to turn away? Stop your ears with wax? Ignore all the perverse glory your heart is screaming at you? Set yourself on the course that will lead you dutifully towards the norm, reasonable hours and regular medical check-ups, stable relationships and steady career advancement, the New York Times and brunch on Sunday, all with the promise of being somehow a better person? Or...is it better to throw yourself head first and laughing into the holy rage calling your name?” 
― Donna TarttThe Goldfinch


Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment