Monday, April 28, 2014

failures of kindness

Sometimes my kids ask me, "What was the worst thing you did as a pre-teen and teenager?"

I know they are looking for a story about the hazards of smoking, or why you should never drink and drive, or … if only I had studied more.

But what I always say, and what is the most true for me, can be summed up in George Saunders advice to graduates last year:

"What I regret most in my life are failures of kindness." -George Saunders




Added April 29th:
Check out George Saunders' new book, Congratulations, By The Way. I just ordered it today after hearing him speak about it on The Diane Rhem Show.




2 comments:

  1. And yet, you are one of the kindest people I know xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. … and yet… everyone knows an "Ellen".
      You, are too kind :)

      Delete