Thursday, July 23, 2009

African American Studies

I am mulling over the arrest of Henry Louis Gates.

I didn't think I'd ever see Henry Louis Gates' mug shot, nor a photograph of him being led off his front porch in handcuffs. Those images, to me, are "An American Tragedy".

Harvard Professor Gates was arrested last Thursday in his home when police mistook him for a burglar (charges that were later dropped). The ugliness of this situation brings feelings of humiliation and shame.

The racial situation we inherited is still very ugly.

What can each of us do today to dedicate ourselves once again to the proposition that all men are created equal? Human being to human being, let's move forward.

1 comment:

  1. I heard a comment on NPR, a man said a part of it may have been racial but also a large part was social. A cambridge professor being confronted by a the police. I never looked at it that way.---m

    ReplyDelete