Thursday, August 4, 2011

meanwhile...

Have you ever read something and then had to laugh out loud because it was so... you?
Last night I was reading out loud to my kids and this paragraph from pseudonymous bosch made me laugh:


Meanwhile? Did I really just write Meanwhile? Meanwhile is to writing what Um is to speaking. A space-filler. A sign that someone doesn't know what to say or how to say it. Meanwhile belongs with phases like on the other hand - phrases that a good writer should never use. On the other hand, there's something about Meanwhile that I rather like - especially when it's followed by an ellipsis, like this: Meanwhile...  Can you hear that sense of menace? That sense of, Uh-Oh, just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...


If you haven't read The Secret Series by pseudonymous bosch, you're missing out. On the other hand, maybe you don't like reading for entertainment. Meanwhile, if you're reading this... it's too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment