Friday, November 28, 2008

Helping Hands


You may have heard that the better it gets, the better it gets, Or the worse it gets, the worse it gets. It seems whatever you have given your attention to creates an energy of its own and amplifies.

The other day I was unloading bags from my cart at Target, but it wasn't my regular Target (if you can have a "regular" Target). I began looking around for a cart corral in the expansive, unfamiliar parking lot. I must have looked lost and bewildered. A woman who was heading toward the store offered to take my cart back in for me. "Really? Wow. Great. Thanks!" It was a completely small gesture yet so thoughtful and collegial. And here I am still thinking about it.

So I have decided to put my attention to finding more acts of every day altruism. It's exciting (and even fun) to catch people being kind and thoughtful toward one another. I mentally keep a tally each day as I watch people hold doors, pick up random trash, and allow traffic to merge.

I have found it to be true that the more you see, the more you see.

No comments:

Post a Comment