Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Little Help

This morning I was reading about the Social Security Act of 1935. Unemployment insurance was created by the SSA  as a safety net when national unemployment was about 20 percent. Unemployment in Idaho has doubled to 5.4 percent in one year, and Idaho has endured the largest percentage increase in unemployment of any state.

It was with these statistics fresh in my mind that I went shopping for my family's Thanksgiving dinner. It was me...and everyone else who waits until the day before Thanksgiving to shop for food. The parking lot was so crowded that I had to park way, way in the back. But back by the farthest exit was a man sitting on the curb, holding a sign. I handed him a gift card to the grocery store I was shopping in. "I hope this helps." I said. "Happy Thanksgiving."

No comments:

Post a Comment