Monday, November 24, 2008

I Pledge


The Pledge of Allegiance
1954 to present
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands: one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

My children don't say the pledge of allegiance at school, and that bothers me. So we are learning it at home. I told them that it is more than just saying a pledge to a piece of fabric. It's more like making a promise to your community. You promise that you will stick together and look out for one another. And that in this community we will always treat each other fairly.

So when you see adults stand and put their hand over their heart when the flag passes in a parade or at a sport event, it is more than respect for a flag - it's that they are remembering and honoring the promise they made to their community.


No comments:

Post a Comment