Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Compassion


I know that, whether we like it or not, we are all on this earth as part of one human family. Rich or poor, educated or uneducated, belonging to one nation or another, to one religion or another, adhering to this ideology or that, ultimately each of us are the same: we all desire happiness and do not want suffering. We are all connected.

I see the illusion in labels, and judgements, and 'you' being separate from 'me'. 

And then this current cast of characters comes to mind:

Bernie Madoff
Dick Cheney
Karl Rove
Jack Abramoff
Michael Brown
Paul Bremer
Kenneth Lay
Alberto Gonzales
Scooter Libby
Spc. Sabrina Harmon

And I have to remind myself again that we are all one. 
That the bit of light within me is the same bit of light within them. 
And, if it is true that "I am my brothers keeper", my compassion goes out to all and my judgement lands on none.

If you have a list of your own 10, see if you can find a compassionate thought for each.
Make it a new year's resolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment