Friday, December 26, 2008

The Best Gift Bag

I received the best gift yesterday from a very thoughtful friend. The note said, "...The bag I am giving you is a 'warming kit' containing small items that might be useful to someone in need... Does it matter why someone is suffering? If the reason is economic, alcohol, bad choices, bad parenting, or just bad luck, the bottom line is that someone is suffering." 

So my job is to keep this gift bag in my car, and when I see someone asking for help I am to hand this gift to them.

In the bag is a pair of gloves, toiletries, non-perishable food items, a list of phone numbers and addresses of local shelters, and a pre-paid phone card. Fantastic!

If you are able, I suggest we all stock these 'warming kits' in our cars this winter.

3 comments:

  1. i love it! i buy hats, scarves and gloves whenever i see them on sale(sometimes even a coat) and keep them near my seat in a bag in the car and give them to anyone asking for money at an intersection... but now i'll have to add the gift bag... a great idea! happy birthday tomorrow, patty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops... that last comment was me Jessie in colorado... sorry.. it wouldn't let me post any other way......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! I usually always have one or two Zone Bars in my car that I can hand onto someone in need. I often don't have cash, just because I don't, but I like to at least extend a hand in some way. Thank for passing this on.

    ReplyDelete