Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Be Brave


The Special Olympic World Winter Games are being held this year in Idaho. I was lucky enough to go to the Opening Ceremonies. The spirit of the Special Olympics is inspiring to say the least.

I was extremely taken with the Oath each athlete takes to participate in the games:

Let me win.
But if I cannot win,
let me be brave in the attempt.

Prior to the first-ever International Special Olympics Summer Games, Eunice Kennedy Shriver discussed the idea of a Special Olympics oath with Dr. Herb Kramer, then Public Relations Advisor to the Kennedy Foundation. "I asked Herb to draft something so that the athletes would feel good about trying, and if they were not successful, they wouldn't feel they had failed."

I think there have been many times in my life that I could have used the Special Olympic oath. I plan to keep it close at hand as a reminder that being brave in the attempt is what really matters.

Be a fan!


1 comment:

  1. My grandfather was Herb Kramer, who wrote the Special Olympics oath. It gives me such great pleasure that his words have become such an inspiration to people all over the world. He neither asked for nor took credit for any of his work for Eunice, Sarge, LBJ, the War on Poverty and the Special Olympics. His intellect and talent were as great as was his humility and modesty. I am so very proud of him and I miss him terribly. He was my hero.

    ReplyDelete