Saturday, February 7, 2009

Trying to Aspire


My daughter joined Brownies, the precursor to Girl Scouts.

I have to admit that it is not really my thing. The idea of the rules and the codes and the pledges was a little worrisome to me. For me, it had the feeling of a secret society. I am more for the free thinking, civil disobedience, standing on a street corner for a cause sort of thing. But I went along with it because it seemed important to her.

So far we have sold cookies together, learned first aid, helped the food bank, and experienced the Special Olympic World Games. It has been a wonderful experience for us and my daughter is enjoying the process of it all.

And I have to admit, I am definitely warming up to the Girl Scout ways. The Girl Scout Law is something even I am trying to aspire to:

I will do my best to be 
honest and fair,
friendly and helpful,
considerate and caring,
courageous and strong, and
responsible for what I say and do,
And to respect myself and others,
respect authority,
use resources wisely,
make the world a better place, and
be a sister to every Girl Scout.


And, I'm a sucker for Thin Mints



No comments:

Post a Comment