Friday, February 13, 2009

Jai ho

I finally went to see Slumdog Millionaire.
It broke my heart in so many ways.

Luckily my husband had already seen it and told me, "hold on... it's a rough ride... but worth it." I'm glad I had an insider with me, or I think I would have walked out of the theater early on in the film. I cannot tolerate torture or violence toward children.

If you can stomach the injustice and the brutality ... what you will learn is well worth the rough ride.

The Dharavi slum, where much of the movie takes place is the largest slum in India. Dharavi has a population of one million and is right in the middle of India's financial capital, Mumbai (formerly Bombay).

I heard that a friend of mine upon leaving the movie had said, "Well, that's it; I'm never going to India." That gave me pause because all I could think was, "I need to get to India."

After seeing the movie, what did you think?

If nothing else, the elaborate Bollywood style dance routine at the end of the movie is like a blessing. 
 "Jai Ho"  (be victorious)


No comments:

Post a Comment